Department of Environmental and Engineering Geology and Hydrogeology
- About the Department
- Teaching materials
About the Department
The Department of Ecological and Engineering Geology and Hydrogeology is one of the youngest at the Faculty of Geology – it was opened by Rector’s order № 612 on May 2, 1999. The prerequisite for the establishment of the Department was the introduction of ecological and geological direction both in scientific research and in the educational process in the 90s.
From the time of its foundation until 2001, the Department was headed by H.I. Rudko, Professor, Doctor of Geological and Mineralogical Sciences, Geographical Sciences and Technical Sciences. From 2001 to 2004 the position of the Head of the Department was held by: Professor A.V. Pizniur, Professor V.V. Kolodii, Associate professor M.V. Lebedynets, and Associate professor V.V.Karabyn. From 2004 to 2009 the Department was headed by Professor V.V. Kolodii. Since 2009, the Department of Ecological and Engineering Geology and Hydrogeology has been headed by Candidate of Geological and Mineralogical Sciences, Associate professor P.K. Voloshyn.
Today the Department has seven teachers and four employees of engineering and support staff. Their research interests lie in the field of engineering geology of urban systems, technogenic and ecological safety of mining areas, reclamation of lands affected by mining, soil geochemistry, landscape ecology, hydrogeology, hydrosphere ecology, environmental monitoring, environmental, ecological, and biological mineralogy.
Employees of the Department participate in the development, discussion, and adjustment of large-scale projects of recultivation of damaged lands, conduct long-term monitoring of the most geo-ecologically problematic areas of Western Ukraine, issue expert conclusions and comment on the state of the environment in the media.
The Department provides training for the following levels of higher education:
– 101 Ecology (educational-professional program ‟Computer technologies in ecology and environmental quality management”),
– 103 Earth Sciences (educational and professional program “Geotechnical and Environmental Engineering”);
– 101 Ecology (educational and professional program “Environmental Management and Geotourism”);
– 103 Earth Sciences (educational and professional program “Engineering Geology and Hydrogeology”).
The Department has a training laboratory of ecological and geological research, which conducts practical and laboratory work on the courses of “engineering geology”, “hydrogeology”, “environmental geology”, and others. In the village of Verkhnie Syniovydne, Stryi district, Lviv region there is a field laboratory of ecological and geological research, where comprehensive training practices in geological and ecological-geological mapping, ecological-geological monitoring, etc. take place.
The Department has scientific relations with the Institute of Geology and Geochemistry of Combustible Minerals of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine and “Naftogaz” of Ukraine, the Ukrainian State Geological Survey, OJSC “Geotechnical Institute”, OJSC “Girkhimprom” , Department of Mining and Chemical Raw Materials, Academy of Mining Sciences of Ukraine Mining and Metallurgical Academy, Polish State Geological Institute, University of Warsaw.
|Associate ProfessorVasyl DYAKIV||Associate Professor|
|Associate Professor (by-worker)Nadiya KREMIN||Associate Professor (by-worker)|
|Associate ProfessorYevheniia SLYVKO||Associate Professor|
|Secretary, Lecturer (by-worker)Hanna BUCHATSKA||Secretary, Lecturer (by-worker)|
|Postgraduate StudentTetiana SUSHKO||Postgraduate Student|
Methodical materials of the Department of Ecological and Engineering Geology and Hydrogeology
- Knysh I. Fundamentals of cartography: Educational guide (for students of specialty 101 – “Ecology” and other natural specialties) / Ivan Knysh, Nadia Kremin – Lviv: Ivan Franko National University, 2021. – 236 p.
- Voloshyn P. K. Educational guide for practical works on discipline “Urban Ecology” for students of specialty 101 – Ecology / P.K. Voloshyn, I.B. Knysh, P.M. Mykolenko – Lviv: Ivan Franko National University, 2021. – 124 p.
- Voloshyn, P. Engineering Geology: educational guide for laboratory works (for students of specialties 101 – Ecology and 103 – Earth Sciences) / P. Voloshyn, G. Buchatska, N. Kremin – Lviv: Ivan Franko National University of Lviv, 2021. – 110 p.
- X-ray determinant of minerals: a training manual for students and postgraduates of geological faculty / Compiled by: Khmelevskyi V.A., Dyakiv V.A. – Lviv: Ivan Franko Lviv National University, 2014. -175 p.
- Textbook on the course “Environmental Safety”. Part 1 for 2nd year students of the specialty 6. 070801 “Ecology and Environmental Protection” / Compiled by V. A. Dyakiv – Lviv: Private Enterprise “Kvart” Publishing House, 2011. – 90 p.
- Dyakiv V. Methodological instructions on conducting educational landscape – ecological practice for second-year students specialty 6.040106 – Ecology, environmental protection and balanced nature management / Compiled by V. A. Dyakiv – Lviv: 2008. – 43 p.